Payroll Questions

Q: I need to update my email address/phone number or upload a new resume.  How can I do that?
A: Log into the online application as a returning user.  Your existing information will appear and you can change anything you want to.  There will be a page that allows you to upload new documents.  Don't remember your username or password?  No problem.  Please email and we will send it to you via email.

Q: I was working on my Online Application and I see the Payroll page asking me about my W-4.  What is this?
A: Your W-4 is the IRS's mandatory form that decides your income tax liability.  You should take into account your marital status, the number of financial dependents in your household, etc.  This form is highly specific to your situation and we cannot tell you how to complete it.  The IRS's website may be able to help you, .  Please see below a sample of what a complete W-4 looks like.

Q: I was working on my Online Application and I see the Payroll page asking me about my I-9.  What is this?
A: Your I-9 is the federal government's required employment eligibility form.  This form is based on your citizenship or immigrant status and you must indicate whether or not you are authorized to work in the United States.

Q: How do I change my W-4 (income tax marital status and allowances)?
A: You may log in to your Online Application via to update the W-4 and submit it.  Alternately, you may fill out a W-4 via and email it to or fax it to us.  Please make sure you sign and date the new W-4.  2 business days after submitting your change call our Payroll Department at 713-773-2900 to make sure your W-4 gets updated.

Q: How do I change my Direct Deposit Information?
A: No verbal requests will be accepted. Send an email to with the Subject Line: Employee Name - Changes to Direct Deposit Information. Write in your e-mail your first and last name and last four digits of your social security number and request an update to your direct deposit information on file. You will receive another email from Echosign with the form to be filled out. You must return the form typed, we will not accept handwritten forms. Once the payroll department processes the update you will receive an e-mail that your information has been updated. This may take up to 3 business days from the time you send the request.

Q: I am in the process of changing my name.  Which last name should I use on the application?
A: You must complete the Online Application using the full name that appears on your social security card.

Q: I am on assignment at the City of Houston and my termination date is coming up.  How can I know if my assignment is extended?
A: You will receive an email from the payroll department very close to the termination date.  If you want to know sooner please call 713-773-2900 and follow the menu.

Q: When is my timesheet due?
A: A correct timesheet with employee and supervisor signature must be received no later than Tuesday at 3:00 p.m.

Q: When is payroll processed?
A: We process payroll on Wednesdays.  In the case of a holiday we may have to process early.  We will email you if there's an early deadline.

Q: When will I get my payroll stub?
A: Payroll stubs are sent via email on Wednesdays by close of business (5 p.m.).

Q: Do temporary employees get paid for holidays?
A: No, temporary employees do not receive holiday pay benefits.  If you work on the holiday you will be paid at the straight hourly rate.

Q: When will I see my payroll direct deposit funds in my account?
A: Your deposit is made on Friday.

Q: Do you hold my first week's check until my assignment is completed?
A: No.  You will be paid for your first week on the Friday of the following week.  You will be paid the following week for every week you work.